Harry Potter Butterbeer
Butterbeer is a sweet, festive drink featured in Harry Potter, made with rum and butterscotch schnapps.
All recipes on Curly Girl Kitchen are developed for high altitude at 5,280 feet.
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- 3 oz dark spiced rum
- 2 oz butterscotch schnapps or liqueur
- 1 bottle cream soda
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Spoon vanilla ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream into two glasses.
Pour the rum and butterscotch schnapps over the cream.
Slowly pour in the cream soda, waiting for the fizz to setting down before adding more.
Sprinkle the top with nutmeg and serve.
- Filling the glasses with the ice cream or whipped cream first will give you more of a yellow-colored, foamy glass of butterbeer that's a bit more traditional.
- For a clear drink (as photographed in today's post) combine the rum, butterscotch schnapps and cream soda first, then add whipped cream on top.
- For a non-alcoholic version, replace the rum and butterscotch schnapps with 1 tablespoon of butterscotch syrup or sauce.